Wild Turkeys

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alethea, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Our chickens' yard is spacious by some standards and we are also considering free-ranging. Currently a flock of wild turkeys has made its home on our property. The adults are huge and there are some juveniles and a couple of chicks. Would the turkeys be a threat to the chickens, especially since they might want to defend their chicks?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm not sure. But i do know that wild turkeys will come in and fight a domestic tom to get the girls. i know they can do a lot of damage in a fight. Hopefully someone with personal experience will come along with a good answer for you.

3. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Sounds like dinner to me [​IMG]

4. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    i have a flock of turkeys that live in a 15 mile radius of me so they visit quite often and my chickens have never been free ranged when they came along. they have been in their run before when the turkeys showed up and the turkeys didnt think much of them. i would think the chickens would follow the turkeys because of similar looks. hey mom come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Keep your chickens penned when they are there. Turkeys are big and heavy, and when they fight its pretty brutal. They are more than capable of harming you chickens. I would encourage them to find a new home elsewhere (not just on the chance they might be aggressive, but they will also bring fowl ticks, mites, lice and other creepy crawlies to your flock). Good luck!

6. dannypritchett01

dannypritchett01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    I wished they were here, I have always wanted some eastern wild turkeys but due to the words in mcmurrays catalog "We cant ship to SC" I cant get any. I think they are gorgeous.

7. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:while they often mind their own business if there is young and your flock is out there ranging, there is a very good chance you will find yourself, well more your flock, threatened. Turkeys, specially the toms can be territorial and will advance your flock, one good kick from a turkey and your chicken is done for. I know cause I have turkeys and chickens and my tom killed a roo with just one single kick. the roo was bothering one of his girls....

Ema

8. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Had 13 wilds in my backyard this morning....thougyt mine were out;) Grabbed a feed bucket and when they exploded out of sight I realized they werent mine LOL!

Spring is the only time I worry, but the others are correct, wild turkeys pack a mean punch!

9. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Thank you all very much. We'll keep them in until they turkeys are gone. I agree they are gorgeous. Does anyone know how long the lice, etc., might hang around?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by