Wild water fowl eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chalis, Feb 10, 2016.

1. chalis

chalis Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2016
    Does anyone know where to get wild water fowl eggs for hatching such as manderine, teal, wood duck, pin tail, ruddy, even call ducks? I would like to atleast be able to get six eggs if not more so rrsonable prices if possable. Thanks

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Just find a broody wild waterfowl. and at night just go and STEAL HER EGGS. [​IMG][​IMG]

I just could not help myself BUT ABOVE ALL WANTED TO WELCOME YOU HERE... [​IMG]

3. chalis

Jan 9, 2016
    Thanks, im just getting started on this adventure. It gives me a hobby while my husband drives truck. All my birds are pets. I just really like the off the wall, bright colored, odd balls. I guess is a way to put it. Lol

4. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Do you currently have chickens ??? I wanted to keep ducks as well but housing a mixed flock of chickens and ducks is just not possible for my small area. Ducks also need some water source like a small pool or pond which I do not have. My chicks are just pets also. [​IMG]

5. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana

Chalis, first of all [​IMG] . Just to make sure you have the background information, cavemanrich was making a joke. Literally following his advice might get you a steep fine, or even jail time. I might be "Mr. Obvious" here, but it is better to be safe than sorry. [​IMG]

There are breeders who have these ducks (with the correct paperwork) for sale though. I don't personally have any of the "wild" breeds, but I imagine you could get some info starting here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/476437/mandarin-duck-thread-for-posting-pictures-and-discussing

Good luck! [​IMG]

6. chalis

Jan 9, 2016
    Lol thanks. I have a rouen named daisy who is siting right now. She and my males donald and daffy get mad enough if I poke around to much. I can only imagine a wild one. My four year old named them. Depending on what day it is donald and daffy turn into batman and robin. Lol thanks for the info

7. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    No problem[​IMG] It's not the wild bird momma you need to look out for though, it is the Feds: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/16/703 Whew! Scary!

8. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You cant get a JOKE when you see one. If it has to be explained ,,,, ITS LOOSES ITS HUMOR. At first I thought that you did get it , but now I'm not sure.. I even included [​IMG][​IMG]AS A HINT. ?????

So for the record. I DO NOT ADVOCATE STEALING WILD FOWL EGGS, i'M ALSO AGAINST STEALING ANYTHING ELSE AS WELL..

9. chalis

Jan 9, 2016
    I knew it was a joke. I didnt need it explaned to me. Its ok.

10. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    I was aware it was a joke (and said so initially), but chalis is new to the site and when someone is new to the site, you don't know if they are a 12 year old or a 4th generation farmer. If someone with no background with waterfowl takes your joke seriously and ends up with a stiff fine or jail time, the joke kind of loses its humor too. When the penalties are potentially as high as this, I would prefer to take no chances when this site has a reputation for providing accurate and helpful information. In no way did I condemn you or insult you for posting this joke so I see no reason for you to yell.

@chalis - This is by no means an insult to your knowledge or intelligence either. Just all I have is a name to go by so I have no idea what level of experience you are at. As I said above, you could be an impressionable preteen, or the president of a corporate poultry farm.

My only thought in posting was to keep a member from inadvertent harm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by