Wild Welsummer!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishinwife, May 30, 2010.

1. fishinwife

fishinwife Hatching

May 18, 2010
    We chose a Welsummer (8 weeks old now) because the information I had was that they are friendly, not aggressive and easily handled. This gal is the opposite in every way! We are now trying to "tame" her by holding her everyday and separating her from the older RIRs that she likes to hang out with. (She is younger, but likes to hang around the older ones, rather than those her age.) Any other ideas or info would be great!

2. missychicky

missychicky Songster

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    Well what I did is I held my chicks everyday and every time they pecked me or were "bad" I hit them on the head and siad " bad chicky no". hope this helps!

3. okiehen

okiehen Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    1st are you sure its a welsummer and not a brown leghorn?
    Some will be the standoff type then come around with time, my welsummer girls I don't handle them but they are calm. My flighty birds will be flipping out over the lest little things in the next pen and my welsummer will be just looking around . As to say or wonder whats up with them LOL. My welsummers will be under foot as long as I have feed or treats. And its very rare for them to flip over anything.

4. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    Thats what I was thinking, sounds just like my brown leghorns, I don't bother with holding them they're quack. [​IMG]
    I'd post a pic in the ID section or wait until she lays, brown it's a wellie, white a brown leghorn.

5. New2Peeps

New2Peeps Songster

May 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have only one Welsummer and she is a hatchery bird that I got as a 12 week old. She is beautiful and lays lovely dark eggs but is absolutely wild and no amount of treats or petting has changed her.

6. smith2

smith2 Songster

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Unfortunately, many Welsummers have brown leghorn in them from hatcheries, cross breeding, etc. The brown leghorns I have had were WILD! If you get a Wellie with any brown leghorn in her, she may have inherited that disposition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: