1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wiley bandits!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Shawnee_b, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Shawnee_b

Shawnee_b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Latest batch of coons been wiping out my corn patch. I set 2 large live traps. They tipped them and dig thru the 1" wire so I staked them. They still tripped them and got away. 2 or 3 blocking the door trick? I covered them with 1/2: hardware cloth except the rear of the one in the picture. That's about a 10x12" rear panel. The coon tore a hole and got out, it even bent up the trip plate. Somehow it also tore the 3/16 steel rod handle behind a plate off the top of the trap too, or an accomplice? Left some fur though. The back of this trap is covered in 1/2 hardware cloth now too and I ordered some "Dukes Dog Proof Coon" traps, similar to a griz. I'll try them the beginning of next week and hopefully have some "coons in cuffs" for pics. Yes I kill them, not release them to be someone elses problem
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Holy moly!!! [​IMG]

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    A buddy of mine lost 17 one night. There was 1 mortally wounded, so he took that bird when it died, tied a bootlace around it's leg, staked it, and placed it in the center of a circle of staked welded wire. Knowing the coon couldn't reach the bird, he left a small opening in the circle of wire. Just next to the bird, he made 2 shallow dishes in the ground. He placed a leghold trap in the small holes. Caught the coon in 2 hours.

4. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    holy batman! They chewed right through it!

5. Shawnee_b

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Gold, almost ordered some legholds too. Thought of one in each trap, then even if they chew thru their staked. I have 2 small Chinese crested dogs or there would be more legholds and snares. Those Duke coon traps are pretty neat. Only a coon can trip them. They have to reach in grasp the trigger bar and pull it. Not that I don't doubt they are smart enough to bend a coat hanger and trip them first:rolleyes:

I think they worked out a deal with my Dexter cattle so they could get the stalks after the coons ate the corn.

When I lived in Maine this Canadian Campground owner had a way he trapped coons in a 55 gal drum, lid tilt or something. It may take a while but I'll reduce the coon population around here, chatter will get around.

I'm not worried about coon proofing my coop that will be under way soon, very soon as I have a dozen half grown chicks at GF's farm but the garden is tougher. Electric wire could work but my poor dogs are hairless, could burn them pretty good. Crows wiped out my other garden before the coons could, pound of a rare Italian Flint corn. They did it in 3 days I was gone. Left me 1 plant though.

6. Shawnee_b

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Yup, chewed right thru. 3 x 5 space approx. Thing gets me is the tough handle on the outside was unhooked on one end, pulled inside:rolleyes:

7. Shawnee_b

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Find a barrel or round trash can. The taller the can, the better. It also needs to have smooth sides so the perpetrator can not get a grip once caught inside. Place the barrel near the edge of a table, or any flat surface taller than the lip of the can.

Pour water into the barrel. The barrel needs to be approximately 1/3 full, depending on the size of the raccoon. If your animal is smaller, use less water, as you don't want the critter to drown if you forget to check the trap in the morning.

Place the 18-inch section of 2-by-4 halfway onto the table and halfway hanging over the barrel. Make sure the end of the board is exactly centered in the middle of the barrel. You want to try and balance the board so that it will tip into the can when the raccoon walks across it.

Bait the trap. Place a tasty raccoon treat such as fish or peanut butter at the end of the board hanging over the barrel. The idea here is that the unsuspecting critter will "walk the plank" trying to get the food. It will then unbalance the board and go crashing down into the water. The water is a key component because, without it, the little sneak would jump and crawl right out of the barrel. When it splashes into the water, its fur becomes wet and heavy, and its claws loose all the traction they have in the wetness. Those two things combined mean that it will stay stuck in the barrel until you check it.

Read more: How to Catch a Raccoon With a Homemade Trap Without Killing It | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8240385_catch-raccoon-homemade-trap-killing.html#ixzz1TXKtn4tw

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Thank goodness my few coons only hauled a lot of mulch and dirt into the trap.I would hate to have to buy a new one for every coon I trap! Hope you get them!

9. Shawnee_b

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Quote:Thanks Matt, They do that here too. Once the whole trap bottom was under 2 inches soft dirt. Sometimes full of corn leaves. I wonder if they are trying to make a fire and backwoods cutting torch and cut the wire vs chewing. I repaired the trap, strengthened it. I have a local made wire trap too, it's a bit tougher and bigger.

I have researched much on the Duke traps, they can't get out. It just grabs their arm and paw. I have seen them released unharmed on a video demo. It was noosed around the neck with a dog catchers rod and noose then the cuff released then noose released and it waddled off. Thank you, I'll get them.

10. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    So if you use the water barrel trap, would it be ok to pour a couple bags of quikcrete on the coon?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by