Will 1 chick be ok by itself?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catsew, Jul 7, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Well unless there's a miracle, it appears we will only be getting 1 chick from this last hatch. Will it be ok by itself? We have 2 older chicks, they are 4 weeks and way too big to mix in a brooder with the new one. But they will be together eventually. Will the baby be ok by itself?

2. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    The chick will be very lonely by itself. It also needs the warmth of another chick to sleep with. Try to find a friend for it. (Or get a whole bunch...chicken math [​IMG])

3. catsew

Jun 14, 2011
    Thats the problem, there aren't any other chicks around. They're all either too older or it will be too old by the time they're hatched.

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    It will be very noisy at first!! I agree, it will be very lonely.

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Find a feed store that still has chicks and get a couple of buddies.

6. catsew

Jun 14, 2011
    Our stores only have chicks for the first few weeks of spring. I talked to some farms and all the chicks are too old already.

7. Chicken from the hood

Chicken from the hood Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    Do you have any broody chickens? [​IMG] [​IMG] Because when I had a lone chick I got a broody hen and wola [​IMG] she acepted it, this does not work always though but its worth a try. [​IMG]

8. cr213636

cr213636 Out Of The Brooder

I don't actually have chickens yet (getting them next week!), but from what I've read you have to have two at least. Good Luck finding it a friend! [​IMG]

Sorry, I didn't see that you didn't have any feed stores with chicks. In that case, I agree with the post by Chicken from the Hood, because I saw on a blog once when only one of the eggs hatched, but the chick wasn't lonely because it had its mother.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  9. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    If I remember correctly, someone suggested getting a small mirror for an only chick and a feather duster.

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:This is a good idea too. I've read about people doing it.

Don't know where you are, but maybe one of the members have a chick for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by