Will 1 chick be okay by herself in brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CluckyCharms, Oct 4, 2012.

1. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,

I have tried hatching Silkies...and all of the hatching eggs were either infertile to begin with or they went stinky (rotten) so had to be tossed. I really don't want to try anymore with the hatching eggs because it was very sad for me to deal with all of them being 'duds or deads'.

There will be an npip hatchery in our area tomorrow with day-old Silkies of all colors - sexed (so I can pick a pullet and know it's a pullet).

My hatching eggs are due to hatch on the 18th-20th (really on the 19th but hatching can happen early or late)

I want to know...if I pick out a little Silkie girl tomorrow - will she be okay all by herself in our brooder? I plan on holding her a lot and giving her a lot of attention...but I want to make sure she will be okay with no company in there, or if it will have serious ramifications later?

Will she be accepting of newbies in "her" brooder after she's been in there by herself for 2 weeks? Or...should we just plan on having 2 brooders and introduce the newbies over a period of time?

Thank you in advance

Edit - we can't get more than one tomorrow because we have a city ordinance limit of 6 hens...and I'm being very picky and I only want 1 each of my absolute favorites.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    They are social animals and very well may scream a lot, I am still a newbie so I am not sure. I had 2 by themselves and a stuffed animal & hanging feather duster seemed to quiet them down.

1 person likes this.
  3. LakeBird

LakeBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Pierce County, WA
    I would suggest you get at least 2 because they are social animals.

4. fizzyizzy

fizzyizzy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Chickens are social birds, so I suggest getting another chick to keep her company. Then you will not have as much trouble getting the hatched chicks into the brooder with the silkies as well.

5. CluckyCharms

Sigh, I was afraid of that. We'll choose 2 of them, but I'll purposely get a roo for the second one so I don't get too attached (can't have a roo over 2 months old in the city). =)

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You can get one and put a small stuffed animal in the brooder and also a small mirror, then it shouldn't feel as alone until the eggs hatch. And a couple of weeks age difference is not bad. 4 of my pullets are 2 weeks older than my 2 RIR's. They grew up in the brooder together.

1 person likes this.
  7. Otisspunkmeyer

Otisspunkmeyer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Bend, OR
    I am by no means condoning law breaking, but as long as you get 2 hens, who is going to know?
    Are there chicken counters running around in your area;)

8. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    I thought silkies cant be sexed until 6 months of age?

9. CluckyCharms

I have no idea, daoustai. I'm just going by what the hatchery who is going through our area stated on the phone...which was that all their chicks were sexed already. No idea. =)

10. LakeBird

LakeBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Pierce County, WA
    Even if they are sexed, all hatcheries have disclaimers that sexing is not guaranteed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by