will 1 yr female mallard return (fly) back?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by feathersweet, Feb 6, 2014.

1. feathersweet

feathersweet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    Hi- ww have a one year female mallard. (Birthday tomorrow) who has enjoyed life her with 3 pekin girls, one male magpie and 1 male khaki campbell. We started clipping her wings in July every 10 to 12 weeks. Today she is missing...and due for a clip. if she flew doea she have ability to return.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's a tossup. No guarantee she will find her way back, or not. I hope she will come back soon.

3. feathersweet

Feb 5, 2013
    thank YOU - good news - she is back!!!!! And we will have wing clipped. whew!!!!! sooooooooooooo happy! we adore our ducks! she is a special treasure. let the birthday party begin...thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Not certain why you would need to be clipping wings every 10-12 weeks, they only molt primaries once a year, so you should only need to clip once a year.

Clint

1 person likes this.
  5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Is it possible that you have been clipping the wings improperly and that's how she flew away? Metzer's for example has a how to video to ensure that you have the proper method for your girl. I'm so glad she came back!

6. feathersweet

Feb 5, 2013
    Hi! I take her to a professional. They are a great bird specialiry business rhat have been in the business for years called Magnolia Birds in California. The gentleman I take her to there has ducks too. The last clip was in November.I would not attempt it. She is here ;) and today is her one year birthday! Yay!! Thank you!

7. feathersweet

Feb 5, 2013
    Clint - thank you. in fact when I took her in November the gent told me she was okay. I saw her getting some air and flying down about 20 feet last week to get with her flock as she was behind foraging. ..so I wondered if she had flown away. I will study but this guy is tuned in to her. Thanks for your note. I want to do thr right thing for her...to keep her safe, healthy and thriving.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by