Will 102-104 degrees F kill developing eggs?

chicklets81

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
I have posted about my temperature being too low. I recently realized that my thermometer hasn't been reading accurately, and I haven't been watching my digital one.

If my temperature has been as high as 104 during the first 18 days, do you think I have killed my eggs?

I have posted about my temperature being too low. I recently realized that my thermometer hasn't been reading accurately, and I haven't been watching my digital one.

If my temperature has been as high as 104 during the first 18 days, do you think I have killed my eggs?
Hi.

Sorry for your temp trouble.
sad.png

If it didn't kill them, they would hatch early.

I'm incubating 31 duck eggs and my incubator temp has been all over the map. I'm trying to keep it at 99.5 F, but my incubator doesn't like that temp, lol. I found this online:
Zone of heat injury (above 40.5°C/104.9°F)
Zone of hatching potential (35 – 40.5°C/95 F- 104.2)
Zone of disproportionate development (27 - 35°C/80.6 - 95°F)
http://www.brinsea.co.uk/downloads52

Pumpkins101,
Thanks for that neat information! I've had such a hard time keeping the temperature steady, and perhaps using an old thermometer wasn't a good idea. I'm hopeful, but will accept whatever happens.

smile.png
I have 3 thermometers in my incubator and all 3 have a different temp so it's nice knowing I might get some ducklings if I can keep it between 95 F to 104 F. Thankfully it's never been over 102 F in my incubator.

I found a local crested cream legbar breeder, and bought some eggs from her today. She told me a "test" to see if an egg has a chick inside. She said put it in warm water the temperature of the incubator. She says if the egg "bobs" in the water, a live chick is inside. If it doesn't, its dead.

I have no idea how true this is. I tried 3 of my eggs earlier, and none of them "bobbed". But, I don't want to think its over, until its actually over.

I've got my temp down to 100.9 on my F temp, and 38.1 on my C temp.

I'm hoping for the best. I don't hear any chirping, though....on day 20.

I found a local crested cream legbar breeder, and bought some eggs from her today. She told me a "test" to see if an egg has a chick inside. She said put it in warm water the temperature of the incubator. She says if the egg "bobs" in the water, a live chick is inside. If it doesn't, its dead.

I have no idea how true this is. I tried 3 of my eggs earlier, and none of them "bobbed". But, I don't want to think its over, until its actually over.

I've got my temp down to 100.9 on my F temp, and 38.1 on my C temp.

I'm hoping for the best. I don't hear any chirping, though....on day 20.
You can't hear chirping until the do an internal pip, I think. Before that maybe some clicks or taps.

That water thing sounds like it *could* work. But I don't know how accurately. It presumes the chick will be active and not just lazy. But I know they do rock as they are trying to hatch.

Good luck!
fl.gif

Hope your CCL come out great. But I would make sure the incubator isn't spiking before trying again or get a new bator. Try setting it at your warmest time of day and let the temp drift down from there.

Back
Top Bottom