Will 2 active roos keep 26 hens fertile, do I incubate extra eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DanIndiana, Dec 25, 2011.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Hoping to try hatching for the first time in the spring, but due to a few incidents our rooster total is a bit low(2 to 26 hens). Do I inspect the eggs we're eating to get a estimate of how many are fertile? Do I just incubate extra eggs to be sure? The two boys are quite active for sure, but I don't know if they can keep up.
    Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they are a light breed, probably. If they're a heavy breed, fertility may be spotty.

3. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I do have almost all heavier breeds, BR, BO, GLW, RIR, etc. Are they less active?

4. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    i usually have 3-4 hens per roo. some people have more and some only have 2 hens per roo. if u have 2 for 26 hens then your fertility will more then likly be very spotty and in that case yes i would incubate extra. but i would incubate extra anyways lol you can never have enough baby chicks.

5. woody743

woody743 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Franklin Ohio
    My neighbor Has buff orpingtons, 1 roo to over 20 hens and the hatch rate I get is about 90 Percent.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  6. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Last year I kept 2 roos for 28 hens and in over 6 months of checking my eggs I never found a single one that wasn't fertilised. Obviously it would depend on the roos though so if you want a good idea you'd be best to do a bit of checking first. Looking for bullseyes is easy and hardly takes any time.

8. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I think if you see the boys are active you'll have no problem. I have 2 roos with a similar number of hens and have no issues, in fact it's only one roo who covers the hens as a rule, the other one doesn't dare if the boss can see him.

I do always incubate extra though as in case of incubator issues or roo heavy hatches like I had last season.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have 2 boys with 24 girls and my fertility is good. I do check every once in awhile and break an egg open and check it the have it for breakfast.

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Some roosters can handle up to 20 hens and others can`t handle 10. It`s an individual thing and, of course, weight, breed, age, and in some cases, fluffy bottoms, has much influence. Lots of variables, but if your boys are in their good years and active, they should do well with that many hens.......Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by