1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will 2 flocks together work in one coop?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kiwichickchicks, Mar 3, 2016.

1. kiwichickchicks

kiwichickchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Hi everyone, I'm new to BYC and new to keeping chickens. Last Sunday I had zero chickens. Due to a miss communication today I now have 1 Bantam hen with three 5 week old chicks and 1 Brown Shaver hen with seven 3 week old chicks and a 5 year old daughter that wants to keep them all:) Will this work? We have a reasonable large run (2m x 12m) for them and my partner will extend the coop if we can make this work. Really wanted to know whether 2 hens and their chicks will live happily together in the coop and run or are we heading for a disaster? I will not be keeping any cockerels as I live in the city. Many thanks in advance Kiwichickchicks

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would separate both coop and run for the time being - this will allow both chicks and hens to see each other, but not mix - mother hens can be crazy, so it may not be worth risking mixing them for now. Perhaps consider merging them when both mothers have weaned their chicks - then it should be ok.

Good luck

CT

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on CTKen's suggestion. Better to be safe than sorry if you put them all together and things didn't go smoothly.

Thanks for joining us!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with CTKen and Welcome to Backyard chickens [​IMG]

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Integrating to hens with chicks is a bit tricky. Hens have been known to kill chicks that aren't their own. Both families will need time to get to know each other before you let them all interact.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by