Will 2 roos in a flock of 20 fight too much?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jmc, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    G. Damerow says that if there are three roos in a flock (assuming you have enough hens, of course) there will be less fighting than if you just have two. so a person is better to have three rather than two.

She also says keeping just one may leave you high and dry for breeding should something happen to that one.-- I would agree with that obviously.

I have only raised hens, and am concerned about the noise of one roo, never mind THREE!!

what do you think?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It depends to a large degree on the temperment of the roosters. If they have been raised together there is a greater chance of success. Given enough space to keep out of one another's way they may coexist once dominance has been achieved by one of the roosters. You can pretty much count on dueling banjoes as far as the crowing goes. Start with two and if necessary cull or separate.

3. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:thank you, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. thank you for your witness to marital fidelity. Now that is a rare breed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I have two rooster in my flock of 20 - they get along swimmingly (well, kind of [​IMG] )

The more dominant rooster deals with "his" girls, and the young studmuffin deals with whichever he can steal away, and tries to stay a LONG way away from my older roo.

5. dlee

dlee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    All the "Old Timers" have told me the rule of thumb is 1 roo for 10 hens. That is what I'm doing with my 45 hens & they all seem happy. 1 roo has taken charge but the others try for a hen every chance they get.

6. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    rule that i heard is one roo to 8-10 hens.

fyi, roos vary in temperment and crowing. I have had 3 roos in my life and none of them were crowers (i heard them attempt to crow but after that nothing!...which is sad bc i'm one of the crazy few that doesnt mind the noise) !

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Official count: I have a slew of roosters. Yup, that many. There are stand-offs, now and then, some neck feather flaring, but no real fights. They all know Carl is Head Roo. And he has never even beaten any of 'em up to prove it, either.

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have 4 roosters in my flock of about 20, all except one act so hen'ish you'd never know they were roos except with they crow!

9. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    now how do they get along when they are all locked up in the coop for the night or in nasty weather.................

seems there could be some problems there...................?

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:That isn't the situation here, sorry. Mild winters, plus I have several coops. All free range, but they sleep where they wish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by