will 2 roosters fight to the death?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momoftwinsinwi, Jul 17, 2007.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I purchased 8 CA whites and 8 reds from a local hatchery, I asked for all pullets but ended up with 1 white ROO (for sure) he's huge, and I'm almost positive one of my red's is a ROO, he's not much bigger than the hens but has a wattle. They are all the same age...will the 2 roo's fight?? Should I consider taking one of them out??

Any insight would be appreciated!!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

They will probably get along fine, untill spring. There will be some fighting...and probably some blood..but I doubt they will fight to the death. I have 2 roos with 11 hens in one pen. The roos squable from time to time, but one ALWAYS back down. They get to free roam...so the smaller of the 2 has plenty room to escape.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Rarely will roosters kill one or the other. Depending on the breed you will usually have one the is dominent and the other one will steer clear of him with some flare ups. Introducing a new rooster in the chickens yard can be difficult.

4. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I have 5 roos with my 40 gals and yes there are flare-ups every so often, and there is much chasing, squawking, some missing feathers, and what looks to the untrained eye like one roo getting it pretty bad, but I've yet to see blood shed from any of them. Also, the social structure is constantly changing, so todays top roo might not be tomorrow's. If you removed one of the roos, they ALL (girls included) would totally re-do the pecking order thing all over again and fight for that 'second in command' possition. I say, leave it be and let them work it out.

5. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Thanks for all replies!!! I'll leave well enough alone, they really all do seem to get along pretty well.....and no one looks any worse for the wear....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by