Will 25 Colored Rangers be too many

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dapper, Apr 1, 2009.

1. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    for a 4x8x2 tractor as long as it is moved every day.

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I would say yes but I would move it more than once a day when they are older.

I put 100 broilers in a 8x16 ft tractor and if you do the math it's the same as yours but four times bigger... So yes it would work.

3. knittychickadee

knittychickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Why would you want to raise a breed specifically bred to range in such tight quarters?

4. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Why such tight quarters? Any range of predators including the family or neighbor dog or cat. They run off quite a bit of weight by excessive movement, lack of proper shelter in inclement weather, management issues or any myraid of other issues.

5. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I didn't say I ws going to . I was asking if a 4x8x2 tractor would be too small for 25 colored rangers. I have never raised any chickens at all let alone meat birds. We do have critters runnin around so I do want a tractor. The layers will be in a coop with a large run.

So how many would be a decent amount for a 4x8x2. I have to worry about being able to move it around by hand every day. I am thinking that a 4x8 would be a nice size to be able to move around.

6. knittychickadee

Mar 12, 2009
    Bossroo, I know why tractors are used. My point was, the Colored Rangers are purpose bred to move, to forage. A 4x8 tractor seems to defeat the purpose for which they are bred. [​IMG]

7. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

A tractor permits foraging. That is why you move it - to get to new forage.

8. knittychickadee

Mar 12, 2009
    Forage as in "to wander in search of forage or food". They are called Rangers. That connotes something that ranges, or lives on a range. They were previously called Freedom Rangers. The name of them itself tends to tell you something about them. Active is a word used to describe them often.

9. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My laying hens would also prefer to free range (they are active), but they are not always permitted to due to predators, neighbors, gardens, etc.

It would be REALLY helpful to me and probably to the original poster if someone would answer the question about how many rangers would be appropriate GIVEN the idea of using a chicken tractor instead of debating the meaning of forage. Not everyone has the option of allowing FREE RANGE which is what I would call what you folks are debating here.

It would be especially helpful, from my perspective, to hear from people who have actually grown rangers with a substantive response - rather than commentary to share your theoretical perspective on raising these birds. Knittychickadee - have you raised rangers in the past, or are you just basing your input on the fact that you have some on order?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  10. knittychickadee

Mar 12, 2009
    Nope, no Rangers in the past, just hundreds of chickens over the years, many breeds, and I know how to pick the breed that will do well in the situation I have to put them in. There are breeds I've always wanted, but I know they will not do well or be happy in my situation, so I don't get them. Apparently not all think the way I do. IMO the only bird that will do really well and be happy about being in less than 2 ft of space each is the CornishX, who really don't care if they can move around or not.

From what I've been told by people that raise them, I wouldn't give a Ranger less you would than a laying hen, (4 ft each house/ 10 ft run). They at least like to move around as much as them. I suppose you could get away with less space by moving them to fresh forage several times a day, since that would keep them from boredom and picking each other in close quarters. If you went with 4 ft each you could each put 8-9 birds in your tractors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by