Will 26 weekers skip laying 'til spring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Nov 14, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My lot are all around 27 weeks now. The two wyandottes, one EE and one buff are laying in the big girl coop. The two silkies and mille fleur are randomly laying in the little girl coop. None are laying consistantly. I'm getting between 2 and 7 eggs a day.
    Left are 3 EEs, one buff, 2 welsummers, a polish and a sebright. None seem even remotely interested in laying eggs. Is it possible that they will hold off and start laying in the spring? It's been in the 30s at night and between 60 and 70s in the daytime. Of course, it is getting darker sooner and staying darker longer. Should I give up and expect nothing from that lot until spring? If so, should I switch off the layer ration until then? Nobody seems to be molting, but I know they lay off production in the winter. Just wondering.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Not necessarily. An acquaintance of ours had his begin last year in mid-December...[​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My first flock waited til 28 weeks. I think you will start getting eggs from them soon [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    That would be swell. I've just heard that they quit laying mid-winter and I was worried that this lot just wouldn't start at all. Maybe there's hope yet.
    [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have three breeder quality RIR girls who are about 30 weeks old and haven't laid, but today, I saw one in a nest, messing with the straw for the very first time. I expect they will begin, winter or not.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So everybody will lay me Christmas Eve eggs and peace will reign (in the coop, if not on earth). Yay! [​IMG]

7. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Still waiting on 8 of mine, they're between 31 and 33 weeks, RIRs. All from breeders so I knew this going in, but it's still tough to wait!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine are all the same breed, all hatched the same day, all 29 weeks old. Four of my hens have decided that I get plenty of eggs without their imput and they're just here to dress up the place. [​IMG]

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    [​IMG] - ps Gritstar, my name is Kat too...

My 4 BO girls are 26 weeks old now and nere an egg to be seen. Spoiled little freeloaders. I'm thinking of changing my signage to "Lay or Roast."

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I've had a lot of pullets, especially the ones who hatched late in spring or early summer, come into lay during the winter. There are a very few breeds that really quit laying in winter, as long as they get proper nutrition and either have access to the outdoors, or have light provided. I don't provide extra light, but mine are free-range, so they get out in the daylight year round.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by