Will 3rd time be a charm?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muslw4, Jan 23, 2013.

1. muslw4

muslw4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I set some eggs on Jan 02, so this is day 21. No signs of chicks yet. I know sometimes it can take a few days longer, but gees this is nerve racking. This is my 3rd time trying to hatch eggs. My first time I borrowed my mom’s little giant incubator and bought eggs on eBay. Nothing hatched. So again tried with a broody hen. Again, nothing. So for Christmas I got a Genesis 1588 incubator. I thought even I couldn’t screw up this one. So I gathered eggs from my own chickens. I have two bantam roos with 5 hens. Figured wouldn’t have to worry about shipping problems and I would do a test hatch. I set 10 eggs. We candle twice, first about 8 days and tossed 1 egg that seemed cracked. Then on day 17, tossed two more eggs that didn’t seem to have anything in them. The others had red lines in them and a dark blob with the air sack area visible. So put on lockdown day 18 and now biting my nails hoping for something to happen. I’ve read that sometimes you hear peeping before the pips. So far nothing. Temp has stayed pretty regular and humidity has fluctuated but nothing drastic. I tried keeping it in the range suggested by the incubator directions. I guess I’ll wait until tomorrow and maybe try candling one? I really hope 3rd time’s a charm. Any words of encouragement or advice would be most appreciated.

2. 1655ot

1655ot Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2012
    Dublin,Georgia
    My Coop
    Sounds like you'll get it right this time. On my last hatch I had fluctuating temps and didn't think any would hatch. Come hatch day nothing was happening but on day 22 they slowly starting hatching and finally got 64% to hatch over 3 days.Not great but better than I thought would hatch. So try to be patient, they'll come.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] for [​IMG]

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    COOL!! Have a read at the assisted hatch article in my signature... it will calm you and explain what your chick is doing in that egg.... [​IMG]and how long to wait to candle and tap to check viability

5. muslw4

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Wow! thanks for the link to that article. it was really interesting. I was looking for that kind of information earlier but hadn't come across the article. I guess I'll just have to sit back and wait for a few more days before doing anything else.

6. muslw4

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I HEAR PEEPING!
    I'm sitting here browsing the forum and I'm like "what is that squeaking? hmm it's coming form the bator....it's peeping! WHOOPEE!

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Congrats! Your going to be up all night now. Once one starts it's not long and they start popping out like corn. May take as long as tomorrow morning but I doubt it, those Genesis are spot on for temp so this should be your night.

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. muslw4

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    YAY! WE HAVE CHICKIES! One hatched this morning and 1 pip. Five more to go hopefully. So, 3rd time is a charm!
    I can see why people get addicted to this. I’ve lived on a farm all my life, and have seen many animals be born. From rabbits, to sheep and goats and calves. Even my horse had her son Ringo here. And my dog Sadie had her pups here and that’s how I got, Levi, Her son. I’ll never get tired of seeing this miracle.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats!! I hope the others hatch out quick so you got some new babies to play with [​IMG] I've seen cows and dogs give birth and I saw lizards hatch once when I was a kid, which was pretty cool, but seeing chicks hatch is just amazing. I absolutely love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by