will a 2 year old roo pose any harm to my 2mo flock??

PineLaneFarms

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
good evening everyone! my grandfather offered one of his rir roos to help watch over my new flock.....my girls are only about 2 months old and i was wondering if Boss Hogg as we like to call him would pose any threat to my girls. all comments are welcomed. thanks in advance

Last edited:
not any more than my 2 year old son
lol.png

They should be fine.. .just keep an eye on them. You will know right away if it will be a problem. I keep my cochin roos that I don't use for breeding in with juvies and I've never had a problem.

I got an older roo ended up trying to "abuse" my 3 month olds. At first he was nice but they were not ready for a roo yet but he got tired of waiting. He went back to the previous place until they are mature enough to appreciate a man in their life!

i understand what your saying sass ill have to keep an eye on boss hog so far its been a 50/50 toss up thank you so much

Last edited:
My humble educated opinion, he should work out very well. Two years is mature and at that age he should take good care of youngsters. There are exceptions, of course, but as mentioned, just watch how he acts. he should be fine..........Pop

I have frequently added full adult rooster on top of juveniles (chicks usually 4 weeks old). Purpose is to speed chicks to use elevated roost. Roosters vary greatly in respect to treatment of chicks bit generally any social problems are minimal and pecking delivered by rooster not life threatening.

Some individual roosters not suited to task but they show their colors within a few minutes. Full adult important.

Back
Top Bottom