Will a 42" x 6 Ft Metal gate work as a chicken run door? Any plans on wooden doors?

wmcdow

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2015
I have a 15' x 20' chicken run and I'm stumped by what kind of door I should have and how to make it fully predator proof. I have a chicken coop that will be inside the run that is 39" wide so I need it at least 39" for the option of getting it out of the run.

The run will have ten 4x4 posts on the perimeter with 2x4 attached horizontally. If there's a guide on making a wooden door, that would look better. Thanks for your help! I'll be posting pictures of the completed project hopefully Sunday!

I'm going to be using a recycled storm door that we have on hand. It's super narrow, about 30 inches wide. I figure with the windows up it will be pretty predator proof as it is metal and I can reinforce the screen if I let one of the windows down in the summer for ventilation.

You might try Menards.com. If I remember right, they have a project planner link on their website where you might be able to come up with a plan and materials that you need.

I have a 15' x 20' chicken run and I'm stumped by what kind of door I should have and how to make it fully predator proof. I have a chicken coop that will be inside the run that is 39" wide so I need it at least 39" for the option of getting it out of the run.

The run will have ten 4x4 posts on the perimeter with 2x4 attached horizontally. If there's a guide on making a wooden door, that would look better. Thanks for your help! I'll be posting pictures of the completed project hopefully Sunday!
Got a pic or link to the gate?
You could probably attach wire mesh to it with screws and washers.

Would have to do something underneath the gate to prevent diggers.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of not reinventing the wheel - my coop has a standard exterior door on it - I'd recommend the same for a run. You just need to build a frame, and then you don't need to worry about latches coming undone, animals getting in because the door flexed, etc.

I got mine from ReStore for about $30 - you might have to look around for a wider one.

Back
Top Bottom