Will a Bantam Roo breed Standard Hens?

FluffyChic

Songster
10 Years
Jan 2, 2010
Monroe, NC
Does anyone have standard pullets and have a bantam roo for fertilizing them? Plus, would my girls hurt him since they are bigger than him? Would we get standard size chicks when hatching or bantam size chicks or a mix?

My little roo is trying-he hangs on but seems to be way off base- wing side or mid back-he thinks he did something and walks off all proud.
roll.png

Sammy, my bantam Salmon Faverolle roo in my avatar, bred my standard size ladies when they were young and "new" layers. Since they've grown up, he doesn't even try...guess he's smart enough to know that it's no use.
lau.gif

Ohhh yes they do and they do it well... my silkie roos do the deed every day and my sexlink eggs have the bullseye to prove it
lol.png

I accidentally caught one in the act on video a couple months ago...

I can upload the clip if you like
cool.png

I wouldn't count on fertile eggs if that's the only roo you have. I don't think there is any way that my bantam SLWs could ever successfully breed my large fowl girls.

My little buff frizz boy tries and tries to breed my HUGE buff orpie girls but he's not even close!
lol.png
He ends up standing on top of them and they just lay there and after a while they get annoyed and chase him away ..."like ok...if you can't do any better than that when I'm laying here waiting...then just forget it!"
lau.gif
Sooo funny! My big giant black cochin boy figured it out pretty fast though!
gig.gif
See it's all of this entertainment that makes it all worthwhile!
clap.gif
Blessings,Keri PS. My four yr. old wanted to know what they were all doing one day and thanks to a VERY WISE Grandmom(on BYC)
bow.gif
I was prepared with my response and quickly said "Oh they're just playing chickie leap-frog!!!" I went over smooth!Thank you wise woman! Blessings,Keri

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL! Thanks for posting about the chickie leapfrog! I'm sure I'll get that question from my 4yr old soon. LOL!! I kind of figured my buff orpie girls would be too big for him too. We'll see, we're just in search for a sweeter calmer rooster and I know people have said bantams are sweeter sometimes. But since it is for the purpose of fertilized eggs, he'd have to be able to do the deed.
wink.png

My banty frizz.roos are tough man! One is nice to us, one is mean as all get out!(but cute so we keep him around)! I have a HUGE Ginormous Giant Black cochin roo boy that is as sweet as pie! He does his "job" but I totally trust him with my little ones(mama of 4 boys) He's a gentle giant...very non-confrontational! I can highly recommend that breed or at least my roo! Blessings, Keri

Keri, if you don't mind me asking, did you hatch him your self or buy him already grown? The cochin rooster? That's a breed some others have been recommending to us.TIA!

Back
Top Bottom