Will a Beagle or Retriever dog go crazy over the quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SuseyQ, Feb 11, 2016.

1. SuseyQ

SuseyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2016
    I have a retriever now that is both indoors and outdoors and my son is getting a Beagle shortly. I'd like to know if anyone has had any problems with their pet dogs who have hunting/retrieving instincts as far as raising quail? I'm concerned that if the Beagle howls a lot it may disturb the quails from laying. These dogs will be outside part of their day.

2. Thunder Bird

Thunder Bird Out Of The Brooder

If you are sure that your dogs won't eat your quail, because they are both breeds known to bring back prey to their masters. The dogs could find a way to get to your laying quail. So worse than no-laying for a while, but loosing your quail to an accident in a few months or so. If you've already decided that your new hound would be comfortable without quail feathers, I'd say just keep your quail's enclosure sound proof, or close enough that it's muffled and doesn't alarm your quail. If your quail is uncomfortable with a lot of dog barks. Also have the dogs' outings not in the same time as the quail's. If you can't do this, you can just go on extra longer walks for your dogs.

Hope that helps! :)

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You will have to train them to leave the cages be but the noise will only be an issue until the birds adjust to it. My border collie will catch any stray quail that get loose and the same goes for my retriever mix although neither disturbs the cages. Sometimes the birds survive the retrive but typically they dont.

4. SuseyQ

SuseyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2016
    dc3085,
    That is good to know. Yes, I imagine any stray bird won't last long if the dogs are around. :)
    Thank you for this insight,
    SuseyQ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by