Will a broody chicken take hatch and raise ducklings?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I ask because I don't want ducklings hatching with a broody this year and the broody pecking them or running away from them because she doesn't know what they are.
    Thank you for any reply.

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    If you are gonna use a broody to hatch duck eggs I would think the best way would be to let her hatch them then take them away because a duckling has different needs then a chick. A broody is not gonna teach a duckling to swim or clean out its nose in a bucket of water!

3. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    I've heard it works, but I haven't tried it. Although if I were to I would put the duck eggs in an incubator for the first week instead of directly under the broody - it would be bad if she got discouraged after they didn't hatch on the 21st (or 22nd or 23rd) day and stopped sitting on them.

4. HIS Paintbrush

HIS Paintbrush Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    fddf
    You bet, she will hatch and raise. I've seen it done but they get a little frantic when their little chickies go for a swim in a puddle.

5. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Hmm.. Is it better to go with a broody duck then? I'm afraid of a cochin giving up on sitting too! I don't have an incubator so yeah.. I have no idea if any of my ducks are broody breeds though. I have runners, rouens, and 1 white crested. Plus I don't know how to deal with broody ducks.. Unlike the chickens, the ducks usually run away from me when I get close. Even if I have treats too.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have raised multiple broods of ducklings using chicken hens as surrogate mothers. The only problem that I ever had was with an elderly hen who had raised multiple broods of chicks. She knew that the ducklings were not 'normal', and I had to remove and hand rear them. It really is hysterical how they freak out when the ducklings enter water to swim. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by