Will a broody hen accept a baby duckling?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CAranchgirl, Jul 19, 2010.

1. CAranchgirl

CAranchgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    A friend found a baby duckling on a busy street and has been caring for it for a few days. It is tiny and I would guess newly hatched when she found it. She thinks it is unhappy and wants it to have a mom/family. Will one of my broody hens accept it as they would a chick? I have given broodies many chicks that are not their own but never a different species. I know the younger the baby the better, but some of my hens have accepted chicks as old as 2 weeks. Thanks for the help!

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I have never tried this. It might work. I know one time my hen hatched out about 6 baby chicks and then left the other eggs. So we brought in the eggs and put them in the incubator. When the one hatched we put it back with the mama hen.. and she DID NOT want her. every now and then she would flog her. So we ended up raising that one baby in a brooder indoors. You can try putting the duckling with your hen, but have a backup plan if it doesn't work. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    She may well accept a duckling, but make sure that there is no water other than drinking water about. If there is the duckling will go onto the water and the hen will go ballistic [​IMG],

Good Luck,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by