Will a broody hen just give up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenphile, Apr 4, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Our silkie has hatched one baby but is still sitting on three eggs. She pushed an egg out of the nest already. I did an eggtospsy and was saddened to find a fully developed blue silkie. It is at least day 23 on the other ones. She is still sitting on them but I was wondering will she instinctively give up? Should I candle them to see if anything is there or just let it be for awhile.

The hatched chick is doing fine. Momma is still cooing and acting broody with the other eggs though.

thanks
    Chris

2. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Mom's know best. She'll give up on them when they are all done. Has she got the other chick with her?

3. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Its not very technical, but what I have seen is that she will usually start taking care of the ones that did hatch, forcing her to be off the nest, in fact my last one left the nest with eggs and moved to the other side of the area she was in.(Maybe something deep down told here to get away from the unhatched they might attract preditors?) She continued on eggs and chicks for 3 or so days, before she left. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Yes the one lonely chick is with her. Was hoping for a better hatch but these were shipped eggs.

thanks
    Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by