Will a broody lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BantyChickMom, Feb 24, 2008.

1. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I have a japanese broody, I found her yesterday evening, sitting on 4 eggs, (2 japs, 2 polish).

I go out there today and now there's 7 eggs in the nest, 4 japs, 3 polish.

I only have 2 jap girls so I know this "little broody" had to have laid today.

Is this possible or even normal?

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's best to always seperate the broody hen from the rest of the flock. Hens will continue to add eggs to her nest. They won't all hatch at the same time and she will end up with more than she can cover, ending up spoiling the whole hatch.

Once a hen goes broody, it is possible for her to lay another egg, however the others adding to the nest will create a problem for her to stay on the eggs without alot of distractions.

bigzio

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    My broody EE layed eggs for the first 3 days, so it is possible.

4. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Thanks guys!

I am busy right now moving my 6 3 week olds to a new area, and getting the other brooder cleaned and set up for my current hatch.

So, I will separate her very soon.

Thanks again.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Way to go with giving your broody it's own seperate place. Hopefully she will turn out to be a great mom. When the peeps peek out from under her wings, it's so wonderful to see and experience.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by