Will a broody take a chick back after it's been away for a while?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SpringChickens, Jun 5, 2010.

1. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    One of my broody's chicks got hurt yesterday and won't put much weight on her right leg now. There doesn't appear to be much outward sign of injury (no bloody spots), but she's obviously injured. I removed her and put her in a brooder inside so she won't have to move around too much and so she can heal (she wasn't keeping up with the rest of the flock). She's in there with a cornish X chick of the same age right now.

So here's my question... will I be able to return her to my broody after she heals? Will her momma take her back? Has anyone had to take a chick away from a broody and been able to return it?

Thanks!!

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I took 2 chics away for almost a week while the broody waited for the rest to hatch. When I took them back to her, she clucked and nuzzled them right up under herself as if she knew exactly whos chicks they were. So I think they will be fine.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

yep, just slip it back in after dark after they're all tucked in for the night. Do it without turning on any bright light, take a very small mostly covered flashlight or something so you can see. Contrary to that whole, "they'll smell you on them" thing about birds that fall out of a nest, or in your case chicks you take from it.... birds can barely smell anything, some can a bit, but most have no sense of smell at all and they won't know anything about it.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Good to know! The chick is 2.5 weeks old right now - do you think that will affect anything?

This whole group is actually adopted... she didn't hatch any of them. She didn't have any problem accepting that she hatched 13 chicks from one ceramic egg... [​IMG] I'm just worried she won't take another chick in when it's 3.5 weeks old...

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by