Will a broody to tuck her head under her wing to sleep?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Break an Egg, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have one broody who is on day 15 and this whole time she just sits like a statue. I just checked on the coop and now my oegb was sleeping on the eggs I've been leaving in there (hoping for another broody [​IMG] ) but her head was tucked under her wing. She is always on the roost at night.

Sorry I didn't post anything about my broody (on day 15) when I do post about something, half the time I feel like I jinx things. (which is why I'm trying not to get my hopes up about this other one)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, a broody may tuck her head under head when she sleeps, but so will most chickens. It's normal chicken behavior. Don't let the head tuck get your hopes up. The fact that she is "overnighting" in the nest box may be more indicative of broodiness. Good luck.

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Thanks for responding. It just confused me because my other broody (Buff O) sits like a zombie. She doesn't move, she doesn't turn her head, when she sleeps she closes her eyes.

Good news is, I just checked this morning and she was still sitting on them. I think there are 11 eggs under her. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've had broodies hatch several sets of chicks. Sounds like it is going well! Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by