Will a Cabinet Thermostat work for my homemade incubator? Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Mar 24, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Will this thermostat: http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=147
    Work for my homemade incubator? My homemade incubator is made out of a 10 gallon aquarium and is NOT a cabinet incubator. This thermostat's description says it is for a cabinet incubator, will it work for a regular old incubator?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    A thermostat will turn on the power as it cools and turn off the power as it heats. you could use this thermostat, or a water heater thermostat, You just need to wire it up to your heat source, which could be a light or something else.
    It won't know what it's in. Are you insulating the aquarium?

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Yes, my tank is insulated.
    Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

Thanks for all of your help.

4. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I'd scatter a few thermometers around in there to make sure you have even heat.
    It might be too hot close to the light, and too cool in the front left corner.

Do you have a way to add humidity?

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Here is a thread that explains my incubator: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/628541/just-set-my-first-eggs-follow-my-progress-here

I have a funnel that is attached to a tube that I add water to from the outside. The water goes to the bottom of the tank. I have done one previous hatch in this incubator but the dimmer did not work for me unless I was watching the incubator 24/7. That is why I am adding a thermostat for this hatch. I ordered the GQF thermostat last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by