Will a capon take care of my girls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Neilette, May 11, 2010.

1. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Will a capon still take care of his ladies? Or are all of the rooster-instincts stunted into oblivion?

I'm considering caponizing my little roo sos I can keep him, but if he's going to free-load I want him to still do his roosterly duties: chase predators (just keep the crows at bay), keep the peace within the flock, and care for the ladies.

I'd appreciate your feedback!

[​IMG]

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    No idea, but thought I'd give you a bump!

I would guess "no". Testosterone is what gives the boys the drive to protect... if you take away his testosterone, he doesn't have that anymore.

Most geldings won't try to herd mares, but a stallion sure will. Same thing with steers and bulls.

Good luck!

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  3. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I don't have any personal experience, but I did read quite a bit about capons. There is a hatchery near me that still produces them. Anyway, my understanding is that it would not continue to perform perform the protective detail that a rooster should. One article I've read said that capons, in some cases, can be used to rear (not hatch) chicks. Apparently they make dutiful mother hens.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Why do you have to caponize him so you can keep him?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I don't think so. It's all about the testosterone. Only had one experience around capons, and they were pullet like in their actions. Caponnizing turns them into "girly boys."

6. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Quote:I guess I'm guilty of assuming that everybody lives like me. [​IMG] In the city, crowing roosters are forbidden!

Thanks for the feedback, all! Wishful thinking, I suppose. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:I guess I'm guilty of assuming that everybody lives like me. [​IMG] In the city, crowing roosters are forbidden!

So a capon doesn't/can't/won't crow?

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It's my understanding the original purpose of caponizing a rooster was to fatten up a rooster for meat - making the meat very tender - whilst not diluting the breeding stock (the capon wouldn't mate).

10. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky

So a capon doesn't/can't/won't crow?

Apparently some can. It seems like maybe it depends on the breed of the capon and perhaps how "well" he was caponized. I have heard that "slips" do occur fairly often although I don't have any experience myself. I found a very interesting article from 1916 in The Journal of Animal Behavior (Volume 6, 1916) by H D Goodale regarding a study of capon behavior. While the results were somewhat inconclusive, it seemed that heavy-breed capons were perhaps better brooders. Although the study was be no mean exhaustive, it does have some interesting insights on some of the questions being asked in this thread.

Capon Behavior

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by