will a casterized rooster crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenrandomness, Aug 21, 2010.

1. i REALLY WANT A ROO! but my parents don't want any crowing. so would a casterized roo crow? can i show a casterized roo?

2. blueraspberry

blueraspberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    i hope not cuz i want a roo too but cant have any loud crowing waking up the neighbors early! [​IMG]

I WANT A ROOSTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A castrated rooster is called a Capon. It will need to be done in a professional manner (ie by somebody who is experienced in caponization, or a poultry vet). It is a surgery, so there are always risks of bleeding and infection. To me, it sounds too risky for the average pet rooster.

I couldn't find anything that said they wouldn't crow.

Here's a video on how it is done:

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Caponizing a rooster will NOT stop him from crowing. There is no way to un-crow, de-crow, or stop a rooster from crowing. There would be many of us who would be thrilled if there were.

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    The surgery to decrow a rooster is expensive, not always effective, and may have a high mortality rate.

Dr. Ross E. Babcock in Phoenix Arizona has developed a simple surgery to decrow a rooster. He is willing to speak to other veterinarians about this procedure. Not sure, but I remember reading that he charged around $300...not sure what he charges at this time.
    http://www.paloverdeanimalhospital.com/

However, a different vet expressed his opinion in Backyard Poultry Magazine:

While this sounds like a great idea, it is not a simple procedure. Dr. Bernard Wentworth, emeritus professor at the University of Wisconsin, agrees. He tried some of these surgeries many years ago. The muscles that allow the syrinx to contract need to be cut. The syrinx is located at the very bottom of the trachea, where it splits and enters the lungs, so it is not easy to get to these muscles. "It's a difficult and risky surgical procedure, since you're close to some very important blood vessels," Wentworth says. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good ways to keep a rooster from crowing at this time. If you're in an area that doesn't allow them, you probably will have to stick with hens.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by