Will a chick with patches grow up black?

Animalian

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Australia
Will a chick with white/yellow patches grow up all black? I assumed it would be like its mum and dad who were both black. He is 1/4 D'uccle 3/4 Ameraucana so Could this be a d'uccle colour showing up? Any predictions welcome!

Here is chick
Untitled.jpg

here is (a bad pic of) bio-mummy
IMG_0732.jpg

The dad was also all black, a pea comb, head poof and beard.

They can, but it really depends on the genetic makeup of the parents. You can go to Feathersite and look at pictures of Black Australorp chicks to see that they can become solid black even with a fair amount of light down.

I raise mutts and do not put a lot of faith in down color to truly represent the final feather colors or pattern. I've had chicks with solid black down wind up with a lot of red, gold or white. I've had pure yellow chicks wind up with a lot of red, and black on the pattern is also real common with these. I'm not even going to guess on yours.

This rooster was basically solid black when hatched.
22249_black_gold_roo.jpg

These two pretty much had solid yellow down.
22249_pullet_1.jpg
22249_pullet_2.jpg

The rooster's mother was pure black in appearance, much like yours, but was actually half Speckled Susses/half Black Australorp. The father was half Speckled Sussex/half Delaware. I think both pullets also had the same black colored mothers, but I am not sure. You can see why I don't go a whole lot by down color with crosses of crosses.

That rooster looks like he has a lot of game in him, but he really doesn't. I'm very sure of his ancestry.

He grew into a jet black, bearded cockeral with a wonderful green sheen :)
6 months old and still refuses to crow!

Back
Top Bottom