Will a chicken die if it eats plastic/paper?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Donnigan, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I went down to check on my 3 chicks we just let out, and i saw Greta had something in her mouth, i looked a little closer to see what it was and it looked like plastic so i went to get it, she ran around and around the bushes with Ezra, Sylvie and me chasing her! I finally caught her and tried to pull it out of her mouth but she wouldn't let go! Eventually i got it out and it was the cardboard-like paper on feed sacks and had tin foil on the other side and was about 10 inches long! Would she have eventually spit it out? Will plastic/paper kill a chicken? Thanks

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

paper won't hurt a chicken but plastic can wrap around internal organs and kill them

3. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    My chickens LOVE styrofoam! Not sure what the deal is, but had put treats in on a clean meat tray, came back to find them fighting over the tray! Had one blow into the run one day and it was gone before I could get there...they are fine. Had one hen eat a button, too. I would think that long strings could be a problem. Hope yours are doing well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by