Will a chicken that’s had Infectious Coryza always test positive for the bacteria???

Raeganmh02

Songster
Jan 26, 2020
I culled my entire flock due to infectious Coryza a little over a month ago, but I kept my two Polish hens that I had kept separate. I separated them and started them on a rich diet in healthy amounts of Apple cider vinegar, oregano oil, cumin, and occasional garlic and cinnamon in with their feed. From then I just prayed they wouldn’t get it. For three weeks after separating them they were good; however, about two weeks ago when it got really cold here I thought one of them was showing some signs, but it never progressed enough for me to know for sure. It’s been two weeks since they exhibited any symptoms, but I want to get them tested to be safe. I need to know if they had it in order to get more chicks. I will be using a culture swab from the vet to swab their throat and then drive it in for the veterinary office to ship off for testing. My question is... If they did have Infectious Coryza, will their still be enough bacteria in their system for the test to be accurate? I know affected birds carry it for life, so I’m assuming that it will always be present in their system. If this is the case, than a deep throat swab will be able to detect the bacteria for a good accurate test. I’m just afraid of a false negative or via versa due to the possible absence of the bacteria In their systems. From my knowledge of it, if sick birds carry it and shed the bacteria for all their lives, then having that sick bird tested at any time in their lives should result in positive for the bacteria. Anyone have any knowledge in this area? I apologize for the length, I just wasn’t sure how to word it😂

Last edited:
Also, the only symptom was some louder than normal breathing (Not wheezing) That didn’t start up until the temps dropped into the single digits. Maybe the bacteria couldn’t harbor in their system as well because of all the added immune boosters

Last edited:
I’m thinking about picking up the cutler swab to do today (the sooner the better), but I’m still afraid there isn’t enough bacteria in their system for it to be accurate. I wish I was more experienced in this area of science :idunno

Back
Top Bottom