Will a chihuaua kill a bantam hen??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by animallover2202, Oct 10, 2012.

1. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    my neighbors chihuahua gets loose all the time and i think it got one of my bantam Cochin hens i thought it was a possum but we have 3 dogs that stay out at night ( 2 in front yard 1 in backyard and 1 inside (for letting me know when other dogs bark)) yesterday i seen the chihuahua running around at night around my coop and i had to chase it away luckily none of my girls got killed :) but my question is will a chihuahua kill a bantam hen?? if so how do i handle the problem?? i only have 1 more hen and 1 roo and i don't want to loss anymore

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A chihuahua is capable of killing a bantam quite readily. I see only two options: informing the neighbor of the problem and asking them to control their dog or absolutely fortifying your coops so that the dog can not get at your birds. There is another option, but it is not 'neighbor friendly'. Good luck.

3. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    thanks there free ranger chickens .... will they be able to kill a normal sized chicken??

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

A dog is a dog. Big or small, it is a dog. If the dog wants to, it can and will tear up a chicken.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chihuahuas can be very tenacious, and I would guess that a particularly aggressive Chi with a strong prey drive could readily kill a standard sized hen. A large breed rooster should be able to put such a dog in its place.

6. Whiber02

Whiber02 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Agreed!

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by