1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will a cockeral call another cockeral to food?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klf73, Jun 9, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I bought a "pair" of birds. They are only 14 weeks old and the seller told me she was unsure of gender and sent me pics. It's a breed we are both unfamiliar with so I told her it was ok if they turned out both cockerals because I have 2 pullets. They got here yesterday. I let them out today and when I fed them the probable cockeral called the other over the way my roo does to his girls...so, I have never had a "pair" , usually flocks that are hatched. So does this mean the other is a pullet or would he have done that to a guy friend too?

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have 6 boys who live together and I have seen two of my boys pick up and put down the treat while calling the others over. They let them have the worm or whatever it is.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Some of mine will do the same out in the bachelor pen.

4. bscorpio73

bscorpio73 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    North Carolina
    Since I don't have any roos, I can't answer that question, but my hen would call her chicks over. That was the first time I had ever seen chickens do that. [​IMG] My chicks are now 6 weeks, and she doesn't do it anymore. They now have to fend for themselves. Funny birds.

Not really a bird expert, just wanted to share my experience. [​IMG]

5. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Quote:interesting.. my chicks don't believe in sharing.. in fact, my EE firmly believes "What's mine is mine and what's yours will be mine once I catch you!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by