Will A Coop Change Break Broodiness?

Geckolady

Counting Chickens B4 They're Hatched
Sep 12, 2020
east central Arizona
Mari, one of my silver grey Dorkings, is being a grouchy broody sitting on a nest in the chicken tractor. Nothing will get her her off that nest, not even a nice cool slice of cucumber on a hot day, something she absolutely loves. She is not moving. She is sitting on a combination of ceramic eggs and infertile eggs. I'd like to put some fertile eggs from another hen under her and let her raise them.

A new large coop is supposed to arrive this weekend, and I want to put all the chickens (the ones from the small coop and the two in the tractor) together in the large coop when it gets here. The plan is to do it late in the evening on a day when I will definitely be home all the following day in case of chickeny chaos.

Once they are all in the large coop, I would like her to raise some chicks for me. How likely is it that changing coops and combining flocks will break her broody mood? I would like her to remain broody. Thanks.

Mari, one of my silver grey Dorkings, is being a grouchy broody sitting on a nest in the chicken tractor. Nothing will get her her off that nest, not even a nice cool slice of cucumber on a hot day, something she absolutely loves. She is not moving. She is sitting on a combination of ceramic eggs and infertile eggs. I'd like to put some fertile eggs from another hen under her and let her raise them.

A new large coop is supposed to arrive this weekend, and I want to put all the chickens (the ones from the small coop and the two in the tractor) together in the large coop when it gets here. The plan is to do it late in the evening on a day when I will definitely be home all the following day in case of chickeny chaos.

Once they are all in the large coop, I would like her to raise some chicks for me. How likely is it that changing coops and combining flocks will break her broody mood? I would like her to remain broody. Thanks.
This video showed how to move them successfully. Good luck!!!

Why not move all but her and allow her to set in privacy in the old coop? I will be very surprised if moving does not cause her to break broodiness.
I'd like to move her sooner because it's only a chicken tractor, and if I wait, I'll have to introduce her to the rest of the flock later on and it might be harder.

Can the chicken tractor go in the new run space?
That's a thought! I don't know since I haven't seen it yet, and don't know what the measurements are. Someone is making it for me. The building itself is 4 x 8. There's a good chance the tractor will fit inside if I use the fencing I bought to attach to it. :D

Why not move all but her and allow her to set in privacy in the old coop? I will be very surprised if moving does not cause her to break broodiness.

This is what I was thinking.

You could move the tractor into or next to the new coop and give your broody some private space without her being too far from the flock.

Back
Top Bottom