Will a Cracked Egg Still Hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickie Mamma, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I am incubating 4 duck eggs at the moment and it is day 6 I think, 3 are developing nicely. I noticed after candling last night, one has a crack in it. It is a nice size crack. Its not oozing and the veining is beautiful. Will it prematurely crack open when the duck increases in size? Is there a way to keep the crack closed? ( It was worth a try to ask ) Thanks..

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    for i have not done duck eggs, just chickens, but a chicken egg will more times than won't not make it when it is cracked, and it can harm the hatch if it were it break open. william

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Try to seal it up if you can with wax or the sort. The issue with cracked eggs is infections leading to a bad egg.

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I've covered them with wax and then incubated them and had them hatch.

6. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks... I will try wax. Its worth a shot. Thanks again everybody!!
    [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sorry to hijack, but what else can you use if you don't have wax? The only wax I have is scented candles, don't think that would work! [​IMG] I also have a duck egg that has good veins on day 7, with a fairly large crack on the side. I noticed it before I put it in the bator, but I can't feel it with my nail, so I decided to set it anyway.

8. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Same here. Its not a deep crack, but its there. I have scented candles too. Would a birthday candle work? It wouldn't be too hot to drip it on the egg? [​IMG]

9. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    CRAYONS?
    Quilters Wax in your sewing Box?

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Ah, Ha!! Crayons! They are non toxic ( My kids have eaten enough to know that ) THANK YOU!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by