Will a dominant hen 'mate' with other hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Seatrout00, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Seatrout00

Seatrout00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Melbourne Florida
    I am wondering if I have a rooster. Its a Barred Rock that looks just like the other hens, only she's larger. She has black and white stripes, not gray and white, and a large, floppy comb. Today when giving mealworm treats, s/he mated with one of my Black Australorps - exactly like I've seen roosters mate with hens.

This chicken doesn't look at all like a rooster, save for s/he's larger than the other hens - do I have a rooster?

I have never heard them crowing and the hens only just started laying about a month ago.

My flock is all the same age, about 6 months old.

2. WiddleChix

WiddleChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    Have you actually seen her lay an egg? A picture will help determining if she's actually a hen or rooster. If she really is a she the reason for "mating" with your other hens could be to show dominance is all I can think.

3. Seatrout00

Oct 18, 2012
    Melbourne Florida
    Nope, the only two hens I've caught in the act of laying were one of my Sussexes and one of my Australorps. I haven't seen any of my 6 BR laying or in the nest box.

I thought too it could be a display of dominance, but it was so convincing - the cloacal brush and grabbing the other chicken by the neck feathers.

Do most roosters start crowing by the age of 6 months? None of my neighbors have complained about crowing and I've never heard it. The girls do talk a lot, but as of yet, nobody has crowed.

I will try to get a photo.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  4. WiddleChix

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    It totally depends on the rooster some don't crow until they are 8+ months old especially if they are the only rooster and they are not very dominant. My only rooster just crowed for the first time today at 3 months old but he can hear the neighbors roosters crowing so I assume that's a reason he started crowing.

5. WiddleChix

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    Do you notice any saddle feathers? I could tell my rooster apart from my hens at 8 weeks because his saddle feathers started to come in.

6. Seatrout00

Oct 18, 2012
    Melbourne Florida
    I don't. I will have to get some photos for you all. I had one BR rooster in the group I purchased that I could tell was a roo by the time he was a month old. He had the classic grey on white barring and was taller and had a different walk. All my BR look exactly alike, all black and white barring, nothing rooster-ish at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by