Will a Drake help my flock lay year round?

PaisleyChickMama

Songster
Oct 1, 2022
Zearing Iowa
I’ve seen mixed results that their ducks lay all year round and some stop in the fall/winter. I’ve also seen that certain breeds lay better year round like runners but I have a friend with runners and she said they stopped laying… anyway I’m wondering if a Drake would help them lay year round or if that’s just a myth. Also if your ducks do lay year round what do you do? Lights? Feed? I also heard cat food mixed with regular feed works.

I’ve seen mixed results that their ducks lay all year round and some stop in the fall/winter. I’ve also seen that certain breeds lay better year round like runners but I have a friend with runners and she said they stopped laying… anyway I’m wondering if a Drake would help them lay year round or if that’s just a myth. Also if your ducks do lay year round what do you do? Lights? Feed? I also heard cat food mixed with regular feed works.
I've heard that increasing light etc can keep production up, but my question is do you really need them to?
The thing is, their winter break is really beneficial to them. The amount some duck breeds lay is really unnatural and can lead to health issues in the long run.
My two are prolific layers, they lay every day, and laid all through their first winter. And now I'm getting soft shell eggs, and having issues with one of my girls because their bodies are struggling so much.
In fact I'm doing everything I can currently to actually stop them from laying to help them.

So, I'd really strongly suggest letting them have breaks, especially if these are pets that you care about. It would be better for them in my opinion.

It's all about lighting, age, and breed genetics. A drake will not increase production to year round nor should they be fed "layer" feed.

Cat food is formulated for cats.. very high in protein.. and not the right mix of nutrients and minerals.. maybe good for emergency purposes and if already on hand.. but not what I would call a wise choice long term.. if you wanna up protein.. use a gamebird or turkey starter.. but flock raiser is a good choice (with oyster shell on the side).

All birds will quit laying while they molt and and use that energy to replace feathers.. usually age and season related. These breaks in laying are required for decent health.

With chickens.. the way I keep production up year round is by adding a couple young layers each year that won't be molting come that fall/winter when the older ones are.

Also, you "might" be able to preserve duck eggs from higher production times by "water glassing" (hydrated lime soak).. simple clean unwashed refrigeration gives at least equal result to what I've seen reported (and even safe for 4-6 months, though won't quite whip up) but duck eggs are usually messier so might not last as long under refrigeration.

Here is a link about egg production from a fairly valuable resource of information (including breed comparisons) if you look under some of the drop down tabs (even though it's a hatchery)..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/maximizing-egg-production.html

Hope this helps some. :)

It's all about lighting, age, and breed genetics. A drake will not increase production to year round nor should they be fed "layer" feed.

Cat food is formulated for cats.. very high in protein.. and not the right mix of nutrients and minerals.. maybe good for emergency purposes and if already on hand.. but not what I would call a wise choice long term.. if you wanna up protein.. use a gamebird or turkey starter.. but flock raiser is a good choice (with oyster shell on the side).

All birds will quit laying while they molt and and use that energy to replace feathers.. usually age and season related. These breaks in laying are required for decent health.

With chickens.. the way I keep production up year round is by adding a couple young layers each year that won't be molting come that fall/winter when the older ones are.

Also, you "might" be able to preserve duck eggs from higher production times by "water glassing" (hydrated lime soak).. simple clean unwashed refrigeration gives at least equal result to what I've seen reported (and even safe for 4-6 months, though won't quite whip up) but duck eggs are usually messier so might not last as long under refrigeration.

Here is a link about egg production from a fairly valuable resource of information (including breed comparisons) if you look under some of the drop down tabs (even though it's a hatchery)..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/maximizing-egg-production.html

Hope this helps some. :)
Thank you! Unfortunately the only way I can really preserve is mineral oil, can’t water glass since duck eggs are dirty, and freeze drying is expensive! So I’m wondering how I’ll be able to do eggs this winter. Might give mineral oil a try. Thank you for this information.

I've heard that increasing light etc can keep production up, but my question is do you really need them to?
The thing is, their winter break is really beneficial to them. The amount some duck breeds lay is really unnatural and can lead to health issues in the long run.
My two are prolific layers, they lay every day, and laid all through their first winter. And now I'm getting soft shell eggs, and having issues with one of my girls because their bodies are struggling so much.
In fact I'm doing everything I can currently to actually stop them from laying to help them.

So, I'd really strongly suggest letting them have breaks, especially if these are pets that you care about. It would be better for them in my opinion.
Thank you for this insight

Thank you! Unfortunately the only way I can really preserve is mineral oil, can’t water glass since duck eggs are dirty, and freeze drying is expensive! So I’m wondering how I’ll be able to do eggs this winter. Might give mineral oil a try. Thank you for this information.
Crack them open and freeze them?

Back
Top Bottom