Will a drake kill another?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckface, Sep 6, 2009.

1. duckface

duckface Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    the back of my horse
    I was watching the ducks tonight and our Pekin drake was really going after one of the mallard drakes in a way I've never seen before. I probably shouldn't have, but I tried to intervene and get his attention off the poor thing. When he finally did stop I noticed the other duck was limping. It just got me wondering how far they'll actually go.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, they will kill each other sometimes. I had a drake injure and kill another drake. I thought they would fight and work out the pecking order and then eventually get along. But I thought wrong.

I would either A) Increase your female ratio, so there are more females than they know what to do with or B) Re-home your least favorite drake. Personally, I'd go for the less aggressive one, as I wouldn't want that trait passed on and also a very aggressive drake may later become aggressive even with the females (I've had that happen too).

Sorry. [​IMG] I wish I had better news for you.

3. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Songster

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    Aww...thats sad that hes getting picked on! I use the same method that iamcuriositycat said to use on my chickens and it works.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I had to re-home my one drake cause he was attacking my other drake and all my hens.

5. duckface

duckface Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    the back of my horse
    Darn, I was afraid of that. Well, I did place the two bachelor drakes on Craigslist and had planned on them being gone this weekend, but one canceled and said she found a duck closer to home and the other never called back to let me know what day he was going to pick it up.

I was glad to see the victim of last night wasn' t limping this morning.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    In the mean time, you can separate them by putting the offending drake in a dog crate or other containment within the duck pen. That will protect your "good" drake. Hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by