1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will a drake kill another?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckface, Sep 6, 2009.

1. duckface

duckface Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    the back of my horse
    I was watching the ducks tonight and our Pekin drake was really going after one of the mallard drakes in a way I've never seen before. I probably shouldn't have, but I tried to intervene and get his attention off the poor thing. When he finally did stop I noticed the other duck was limping. It just got me wondering how far they'll actually go.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, they will kill each other sometimes. I had a drake injure and kill another drake. I thought they would fight and work out the pecking order and then eventually get along. But I thought wrong.

I would either A) Increase your female ratio, so there are more females than they know what to do with or B) Re-home your least favorite drake. Personally, I'd go for the less aggressive one, as I wouldn't want that trait passed on and also a very aggressive drake may later become aggressive even with the females (I've had that happen too).

Sorry. [​IMG] I wish I had better news for you.

3. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    Aww...thats sad that hes getting picked on! I use the same method that iamcuriositycat said to use on my chickens and it works.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I had to re-home my one drake cause he was attacking my other drake and all my hens.

5. duckface

duckface Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    the back of my horse
    Darn, I was afraid of that. Well, I did place the two bachelor drakes on Craigslist and had planned on them being gone this weekend, but one canceled and said she found a duck closer to home and the other never called back to let me know what day he was going to pick it up.

I was glad to see the victim of last night wasn' t limping this morning.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    In the mean time, you can separate them by putting the offending drake in a dog crate or other containment within the duck pen. That will protect your "good" drake. Hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by