Will a duck call call ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dacdeihl, Jan 28, 2010.

1. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    I know this sounds like a very stupid question, but if you raise your ducks with using a duck call will they listen to it? I'm guessing so, like pavlovs dog experiment.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Never tried it -as in training them to respond- but I do have one, and they sure look at me strange when use it.....

Maybe they dont understand the language. It was made overseas................[​IMG]

Ducks can respond to training- give it a go and let us know how you go.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I would certainly hope so.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If a duck call would call ducks, how many ducks would a duck call call? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    [​IMG] I would say that they would respond to it naturally...would make a good experiment!!!!

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I didn't imprint mine with one, and they sure get quiet and look at me strangely when I quack one at them!

7. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    You are all very funny!!! I think I will give it a go and I will tell my findings.

8. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    Ducks learn routine so fast especially if it involves food or water. I yell - duckduckduck - in the "call" pitch of voice and not only do all the ducks come running/flying from all corners of the property, but so do the geese and cats. LOL That sound means food is being passed out to everyone. The duck call should work the same.

During chores last night I called the critters that go into the barn in with the duckduck yell and it sure sounded like an echo of it came back to me from the goose pen. Humm, wonder if the ducks will respond to the geese calling them?

9. Renron

Renron Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    If you are speaking in the Pavlovian sense, then yes, they can be trained with food / treats to come to a duck call.
    I have had wild ducks circle my house (no water on property) when I called them with my Duck call. They talk frequently with each other in flight and to those on the ground. No offense meant but it's usually the females that do most of the talking.....[​IMG][​IMG] True story.

Ron

10. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Quote:I'd love to see that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by