Will a duck eat or probably kill its own egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck15, Aug 4, 2011.

1. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    If a male pekin duck mate with a female and the female layed fertilized egg and i put her to a small wooden house with some nest and put the eggs as well will she get broody if i lock her there and will the male duck kill the eggs or when they hatch?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:I've heard that pekins aren't that great of mothers, so you may want to just buy or make and incubator or get a hen or another breed of large duck (cayuga, muscovy, etc.) to incubate the egg. The female most likely wouldn't hurt the egg (on purpose), but I've heard of drakes destroying eggs and killing ducklings.

3. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    Quote:I've heard that pekins aren't that great of mothers, so you may want to just buy or make and incubator or get a hen or another breed of large duck (cayuga, muscovy, etc.) to incubate the egg. The female most likely wouldn't hurt the egg (on purpose), but I've heard of drakes destroying eggs and killing ducklings.

Yeah the ducklings might be killed and someone just had a mother Pekin try to kill one of her babies so you should make/buy a brooder and incubator for the eggs. Or you could buy a broody breed of duck or chicken. WH and runners get broody not sure about chickens... GOOD LUCK [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut

Yeah the ducklings might be killed and someone just had a mother Pekin try to kill one of her babies so you should make/buy a brooder and incubator for the eggs. Or you could buy a broody breed of duck or chicken. WH and runners get broody not sure about chickens... GOOD LUCK [​IMG] [​IMG]

The only problem is that the drake pekin might crush the runner or WH when mating.

5. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    oh yeah ... maybe cayuga no sure about rouen...

6. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:I've heard rouens aren't that great of mothers, but I would suggest cayuga as well. Maybe even a muscovy.

7. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    yup

8. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    I had 30 pekins and not 1 would hatch out her eggs. Most of them would sit for about 3 weeks then abandon their eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by