will a duck lay an egg infront of you?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck15, Jul 23, 2011.

1. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    has any body witness a duck laying an egg?or will they hide from you?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Only if they're not shy.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Why have you??? [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, a few times my runners have laid eggs while I was nearby. Sometimes I missed seeing it happen, sometimes I was a little concerned about a weird-looking posture, then out popped the egg.

Most of the time, they lay between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. I am usually sleeping then, and they are usually in their little house.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I saw Blue lay a couple eggs when she had a nest by the deck.
    I've seen Ally pop a few out in random spots in the evening - always the soft ones though, so they go right to whatever dog is nearby.

6. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Oh sure, but it's only because I've come upon them during the process as mentioned by Amiga [​IMG]

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ducks lay whenever and wherever they feel like it. And they are not modest!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Most of our ducks lay their eggs before 7am. We get up at 5:30 to do chores, so we see them lay an egg every so often. Our Pekin named Grandma is the worst about laying them in front of us. Actually, one morning when I was outside, Grandma was standing almost on top of my feet which is something she loves to do. As I was bending over to pet her, I felt something very warm drop on top of my foot; weirded me out for a second til I saw what it was. . . her egg.

9. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Quote:Awww...sounds like she is marking you as her human. [​IMG] Feel honored to be counted as yet another of her minions. [​IMG]

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I love watching them on a nest- pulling the straw around them ...turning around and around in circles making sure they have the best position. Shuffling their bodies deeper into the straw and shavings. I have seen them lay a few times- sometimes standing up - sometimes sitting down. I spend an hour or so with my blind duck Stevie-Ray one morning when I had a day off work- she knew I was there- as I was talking to her- but it was so wonderful just watching her do what was so natural to her. She had never seen a duck make a nest- or seen another pulling the straw around her- but she certainly knew how to make a nice nest around her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by