will a duck put herself to bed at night?

beckysaur

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Hi there!
I have 4 hens in my backyard and am considering adding one female muscovy duck that is currently at my local animal shelter.
I'm hoping that the duck can sleep in my chicken run/coop at night. If so, will it naturally learn to go in there at dusk like my chickens do? Or will I need to put her in there manually myself every night?

Thank you for any advice!

Becky

Hi there!
I have 4 hens in my backyard and am considering adding one female muscovy duck that is currently at my local animal shelter.
I'm hoping that the duck can sleep in my chicken run/coop at night. If so, will it naturally learn to go in there at dusk like my chickens do? Or will I need to put her in there manually myself every night?

Thank you for any advice!

Becky
She may follow the chickens inside hopefully she would. My ducks which are Muscovy go inside on their own every evening before dark. Bless you for rescuing this duck. I don't think you'll regret it they are very sweet.

She may follow them in, but there's no guarantee. I herd mine in every night. If I left it up to them then they'd go in past dusk and that spells death where I live. Raccoons come out at dusk.

I have two chickens and three ducks. The chickens always are the first to bed. My ducks try to stay out until it is officially dark, than join the chickens in the coop. I do have a night light in my coop to encourage them to come in. But now its just routine for them and I'm sure they would go in regardless

I think if you had one duck she wouldn't want to stay out by herself, there is a good chance she will follow suit with her "flock"

Possibly? i have a few here who do but just as many need er... encouragement lol Being she'd be a single duck, and flock instincts are strong she may just follow the chickens, make sure she has a shelf, Muscovy do roost and if her companions are chickens she will likely be even more determined to do so.

Good luck, we'd love to see if you adopt!

I think its great your considering adoption as with dogs and cats so many older animals get overlooked. I to believe she would follow your hens.

Back
Top Bottom