1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will a Falcon attack my chicks being 4 weeks old pls help see the pics

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vishnu kokareko, Mar 30, 2012.

1. vishnu kokareko

vishnu kokareko Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    INDIA , KERALA
    [​IMG]
    will they attacks them

2. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

First - they are adorable !

Second - yes if they are out in the open a bird of prey will take any opportunity to feed. BUT they are not likely to take prey that is a lot bigger than themselves example a tiny little red hawk is not going to try take a chook that is twice its size.

Your chicks need a secure place they can hide and go to for safety - I have eagles (they would have no problems taking a chicken) but I also have my cattle dog and their coop stays open to them and they have scrubby gardens they like to hide in too.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Falcons generally do not attack chickens since their preferred prey caught as the prey flies. Some types of hawks, eagles and owls are birds that will regardless of continent you are on. Not all raptors will go after chickens even when given chance. Figure out what kinds of raptors live in your area and study up on their preferred prey.

1 person likes this.
  4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sticking my neck off to risk chopping once again, but... When I first came to BYC I kept reading posts about chickens being attacked/killed by aerial predators, and I thought, "Wow, I've got lotsa hawks around here. This is gonna be a problem!"

When the problem never materialized I thought, "Guess I'm just lucky. [​IMG] ", but lately I have developed a new theory; It's not luck, it's just a matter of statistics and human nature.

Let's start with human nature: How many people are going to post to say that their flock was not attacked by a predator today? Just about none. When things are good we just brag on our poultry and enjoy. It's only when we have a problem that we'll post in Predators and Pests.

Now for the numbers:

Quote: (Thanks to Nifty-Chicken. [​IMG] )

Add to that the facts that about a half-million people visit BYC monthly and look at 10,000,000 pages and that amounts to a huge number of people taking part here.

Than there's the fact that white chickens are far more likely to be attacked by aerial predators than any other color.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/606207/are-some-colors-more-attractive-to-aerial-predators

Taking all of these facts into account I have come to the conclusion that the odds are in the chickens favor. Don't sweat it. I know I don't. [​IMG]

5. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Good info, OldGuy, & I agree that hawk predation is only
    posted when one is affected, so those views may be slanted.

So, Vishnu, are you located where there is a large migration
    path for hawks or are you witnessing a lot of them?
    cute kids, by the way!

I live in a migration path so I see a large variety of hawks,
    falcons, & a few eagles. I think I have only lost a few bantam
    roosters to what I think is great horned owls.

If you are seeing them frequent your area, I might be a little
    more concerned. I also free range my birds during the day,
    and they do have areas they can run to for cover which may be helpful.
    That can be brush piles, the coop area, etc.

Good luck keeping them protected, but remember that birds of prey
    also need to eat, are a part of the ecosystem, & are protected here.

1 person likes this.
  6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Preffered prey and statistics aside, raptors and all predators are opportunistic by nature of survival. Falcons are pretty small but would not put it past one to take advantage of an easy meal. Statistically speaking I've deterred an Eagle several times, had to jump off our deck and run waving arms to get a hawk to veer away last 20 feet from chicken and deterred other hawks in 2 years. I don't own white chickens, though agree they are easy targets.

Falcons primary target is birds (most effective kill is in flight) but also will eat rodents. Rodents don't fly (excepting bats- they eat those too), so any easy prey up to size of a pigeon is fair game whether in air or on land.

7. vishnu kokareko

Mar 24, 2012
    INDIA , KERALA
    yes thier is a falcon nest close to my house and they have 3 chicks of thier own to feed

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Vishnu,

Where in India you live I do not know but species you have are related to those occuring in other parts of world that do at least occassionally go after chickens. See following link for species occuring in your area. It will provide at least names as needed to ID what is in you area and enable lookup of species inclined to go after chickens. It is very likely some of the list the the wild chicken (red jungle fowl) have to deal with naturally.

http://www.kolkatabirds.com/jaegers.htm

Following are species that look like they might like chicken.

Crested Goshawk - looks a little small

Besra - looks like north American Coopers hawk, thus will like young birds

Northern Goshawk - very much inclined to eat chicken

All with name buzzard - look like a red-tailed hawk so many might go for chickens

Eagles that do not eat fish

9. vishnu kokareko

Mar 24, 2012
    INDIA , KERALA
    its a small red tialed falcon

10. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by