Will a female fan her tail?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by vbgarden, Mar 31, 2012.

1. vbgarden

vbgarden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    I have what I thought was a pair of peafowl. The blue male is a definite (and a beauty). I thought the 1.5 year old pied was a female, like the mother of them both, but twice now I've found "her" with tail fanned up, shaking it at our hens, just like the male does. No nest or eggs to protect and she's grown up with the hens. Is this an adolescent male, do you think? She has only black/gold/white coloring except for the same golden brown underwings as the male. The pied will be two this summer. No eggs. No interest that I can see in the male pea except that they go everywhere together. They do behave like a pair, but could just be pals. When he/she was fanning at the hens, the big male was fully fanned out and shaking his tail at everyone very intensely. Competition or frustration???? <sigh> I'm so baffled.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Pictures?

3. vbgarden

Jun 23, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    I'll try. If I go out with a camera, I swear everyone just plays dead. Let me go out with hands full of other stuff - everyone shows off. I have photos from earlier this year on my little blog - www.usefulgardens.com - but, of course, none of this fanning is going on!

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Figs... ooooo....... Humm - Plant Zone 9 - sandy acidic soil.... great drainage... chicken, rabbit and duck composted manure available...

suggestions?

5. vbgarden

Jun 23, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Most of our Florida fig growers had only one problem - nematodes. If so, you might have to go with a large pot and then I'd always suggest Celeste! (My fave.) PS Poultry LOVE figs and they are very rich in calcium, so I figure they are good food for egg layers!

heading out before the rain hits to see if I can capture my little bafller fanning her (his????) tail......

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    YES
    [​IMG]

7. vbgarden

Jun 23, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    OOOhhhhh, beautiful! I wish our Diva, "Q" was that lovely! And that's just what it's doing. I really hope that it is a girl.

At what age will they begin laying eggs? And what kind of shelter/nest should I provide for her? She seems interested in the chickens' nest boxes but no interest in the larger box I put into the peacock run.

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My india blue hen fans her tail as well. She was born in 4/10 and started laying eggs last year...13 eggs total.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    peahens and even peachicks a few day old all fan their tails

10. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    last year our peahens made these little holes of dirt and laid in there but we put a old tire in there and they did not even lay a egg in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by