Will a female quail sit on eggs from another Quail hen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pheasantfrenzie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Hello,
    Can anybody tell me if a quail will sit on another hens eggs? If so how many can a female handle to hatch? Will the males kill the eggs if they are all caged together?
    Any info would be helpful.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quail will rarely sit at all but in the event you have a truly broody quail hen, she won't care if they're her eggs or someone else's.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, it is pretty rare that quail will incubate eggs. They will set on them for a few hours or maybe even a day, but rarely full term. However, it is not totally impossible. And as said in the above post, the hen won't care who's eggs they are. [​IMG]

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I think it was wifezilla that had one go broody and hatch a few. But thats the only confirmed case I'v heard of. A good incubator is your friend. Dont have to worry about it get'n hungry or bored... Bill

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:And if you live around here, it may be safer to incubate your eggs in a climate controlled house in an incubator as apposed to leavin'em outside to be hatched naturally. They'd prolly end up poached in this soggy hotbox down here.

6. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    as far as your 2nd question about the males, i have not seen any cases about this, but i would have to say that the male might be ok, as long as its not to many, b/c you know...he still likes being busy. I have seen buttons that get broody and hatch eggs, and the male helps. As far as coturnix, the male might attack, can't be sure, i wouldn't let the chick stay in there anyway, even if it was hatched by momma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by