1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will a flock ever accept a new duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aprildyer9678, Aug 7, 2013.

1. aprildyer9678

aprildyer9678 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    So, I have recently talked about my ducks and I have posted pictures too! I have 2 small flocks that are neighbors but not able to be with each other due to size and breeds. one flock is 4 rouen ducks and the other flock is 2 calls and a welsh harlequin that have all been raised together so the 3 of them get along great! the problem being is that I have tried to add 1 more little call to the 3 of them and they do not want her at all:( I call her sweet pea but now have nick named her SOLO because the poor little girl is always excluded. I feel so sad for her. In the day she is free in their pen because they don't pay much attention to her until she gets to close and then they chase and pinch her. at night i have to catch her and put her in her own cage because they wont let her in their house. it is heart braking! Will they ever stop? I don't know what to do! she wants to be with them so badly. so, is it just time or will it be a never ending process? I hope that they will realize that she is one of them and shes friendly. Thanks guys for your opinions and help! -April and poor little solo duck.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I was just thinking, is there a way to move the 2 calls and wh into another area and give this lil one run of the run so to speak for about a week? then gradually a day at a time add back the 3 hoodlums ? lol change out bedding do rearranging anything to make it not look like home so they are the new ducks.

3. aprildyer9678

Mar 9, 2013
    That is an awesome idea! Thanks so much. I will def. give that a try!! :D

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope it works... Let us know [​IMG]

5. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    I have crated them in house at night for a few weeks so they are sleeping g together but no one can get hurt. That's how I usually do it.

6. aprildyer9678

Mar 9, 2013
    It has been a super long time since I have been on to chat and update things! So, I have news about little SOLO duck. Where do I begin?
    The last time I was on, Solo was just a small duckling that was not being excepted by the others, I thought 'she" was a female, I now know that "she" is a HE. lol!! and now he is excepted in the little flock but, a new question arrives because I am concerned that a fight may be brewing. I had posted quite a while ago that I have 8 ducks. (4 rouens) all in 1 pen! (3 calls) witch I now know are all boys and (1 female Welsh Harlequin) that are all penned together.
    The boys are mature! They are all in color and have their little drake curls and their boy voices:) So far they all seem just fine and I am very surprised by that because I have heard of nightmares with to many drakes with 1 female.
    I guess what I am trying to ask, do you think a problem will arrive? or is it possible that I got real lucky and they are not going to fight over the female?
    Let me know what you think!
    P.S. they haven't tried to hurt her yet! and I haven't seen them trying to breed her yet either. Is this because she is not ready?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am thinking you are in for serious trouble just around the corner, 1 duck to 7 drakes? she doesn't stand a chance come raging hormones. They will rape her and could possibly drown her if they have a pool because all the drakes will try to mate her at once, I'm sorry to say either rehoming all but 1 drake or trying to find a whole bunch more ducks to keep these boys happy. You could try having a pen just for the bachelors but it would have to be away from the pen where you had the drake and duck or they would be fighting. lil calls against rouens would not be good either. Wish I had better news.

1 person likes this.
  8. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Agreed. I would advise you to create a separate pen or rehome the extra drakes. That ratio is not good for your female duck.

9. aprildyer9678

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi,

so, the info is incorrect. The 4 rouens are in their own pen and their are 3 females and 1 drake.

the second pen is where I am concerned. 3 call drakes and 1 female welsh harlequin.

NOT 7 DRAKES!!!!! thank goodness:)

I was wondering if the 3 call drakes will hurt the welsh harlequin considering she is quite big compared to them?

Thanks,

April

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd say one happy drake in the rouens pen. now too many drakes for the WH duck 3 of them trying to mate her at one time could cause injury especially if a pool is available. Get us a pic of her compared to them. But never the less I'm still thinking 3 drakes even small ones is too much for one duck to handle.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by