Will a girl chick challenge a larger boy chick?

PensR1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
We have 4 week old BO and 6 week old RIR. One of the BO pullets is challenging all of the larger RIR boys. We have 2 definite and 2 ?. She runs right at them and pecks them in the head. Of course they get her back and she retreats. Could she actually be a he or do girls sometimes do this. They were in two groups and were just recently put together in the coop. So I am guessing she was the top hen of her group and now wants to be top hen of the house. Her comb is the same size as the rest, but it is a little pink. I'm sorry I don't have photos. I will have to figure out how to do that. Thanks for your thoughts.

We have 4 week old BO and 6 week old RIR. One of the BO pullets is challenging all of the larger RIR boys. We have 2 definite and 2 ?. She runs right at them and pecks them in the head. Of course they get her back and she retreats. Could she actually be a he or do girls sometimes do this. They were in two groups and were just recently put together in the coop. So I am guessing she was the top hen of her group and now wants to be top hen of the house. Her comb is the same size as the rest, but it is a little pink. I'm sorry I don't have photos. I will have to figure out how to do that. Thanks for your thoughts.
PICS please!

Sorry, Pics will have to wait I'm on break at work and am unable. I'll try later today.

Have you ever experienced a Hen challenge a roo?

I well imagine that very thing can and has happened...some hens think they're the "boss" but wait til they're older...those ROO's will let her know what's up!!
yippiechickie.gif

just check the tail and wing feathers ...the hens have longer tail and wing feathers than the cockerel's. and yes the hens will attack also just like any bird.....jeff

Thank You,

The roos are acting more annoyed than anything. I'm beginning to think she is a he being how bold she/he is acting. Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom