1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will a golden hen raise chicks

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by acusmc, May 2, 2016.

1. acusmc

acusmc New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    I let one of my golden hens that always goes broody set and the eggs are going to hatch at the end of the week. I have never let one set and always hatch them in an incubator. Will she raise the chicks? Or will I have to put them in the brooder

2. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    You can certainly try it, if she and the chicks are in a pen by themselves, and you have hardware cloth around the bottom of the pen so the chicks won't escape! Also, your'e water's are drown proof. The safe way would be to put them in a brooder. If you try it Good Luck.

3. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    Mine have in the past but I also put mom and the kids in a brooder away from potential disease organisms. I would also remove the cock bird from their company as sometimes they get aggressive and kill chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by