will a guinea cock mate a french guinea hen?

cw

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
green co.
will a regular sized guinea fowl mate with (and make fertile)a french guinea hen, another ? has anyone had a french guinea hen go broody, our hens are eggselent layers and was wonderin if this would work, thanks

Yes, both ways. I have been trying for a Lavender french for a while now.

"french" Guineas are a wonderful addition to your flock. They only come in one color as far as i know, pearl. Now, whether the mated product will stick is an other issue. I really do not know if a pair of french and non french Guinea fowl can produce a viable offspring, but my guess is that they do.

Please do keep us updated on this, I am subsribing

ETA:

Also check these guys out......

www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Guineas/BRKGuinHybrid.html

Last edited by a moderator:
so if the reg Slated guinea cock mates with my french she will be fertile?
I myself an trying to make a slated french guinea
o and i had seen those guinea hen hybrd things, the naked neck mix looks like a buzzard.

Last edited:
I do have a french guinea hen that has mated with a regular sized cock. The eggs are fertile and developing, I beleive the resulting bird will be fertile and normal, but am far from an expert. We will know if they hatch in just a few days.

please let me know when they hatch, was it a pearl u mated her too, man iam curious on how this will turn out

Why wouldn't they be fertile? Aren't Frenchs just bigger fatter of the same kind of guineas?

It's kind of like saying a Royal Palm tom and a BBW turkey hen might not make babies or that the babies might be infertile. They're the same species, just BBW are so much bigger and fatter is all.. babies will be fully fertile.

The real question: is a normal guinea able to successfully breed a french hen(or vice versa). According to greathorse's experience, the answer is simply yes.

I have heard that the were hybrids as well, but the fella that sold me the French guinea said it was not true. He indicated that the French guinea would breed just like any other and that it was a different strain.

I dont claim to know, that is for sure. The French guinea eggs are much larger than the others that is for sure.

I would sure like to hear from someone that can answer the hybrid question.

Oh and yes it was Pearl cock and pearl French female.

And oh yes they are delicious

Last edited:
My understanding of the French Guinea is they are like the BB Turkeys. You need to AI them for good fertility. That is what I've heard from two breeders. But the cross should be the same too, you would think..

Back
Top Bottom