Will a hawk eat my hens??

ben0125

Songster
Oct 7, 2017
New Zealand, Auckland
My Coop
My Coop
I am thinking of releasing my IMG_6352.JPG download (2).jpg hens we got last week soon but I'm worried about a hawk around our house. We live in a rural area on 5 acres so hawks fly around a lot. We have some hens around a year old I believe and want to know if a swamp harrier hawk would be able to pick up our chickens. We don't have very big hawks in New Zealand and the swamp harrier is the one around our area. We think we have Sussex's and they are decent sized. Please tell me if you think the hawk will threaten our hens!!

BTW IF ANYONE IS FROM NZ AND HAS HENS TELL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH HAWKS!! THANKS

They do not need to carry it off (most can not, the hen would be way too heavy) but they will still kill and eat it. Hawks are opportunistic and will take the chance they can to get a meal. It's tough for them living by their wits and they can not afford to pass up Chicken Dinner.

Some people try and make sure there is a great deal of cover, some use dogs, and some string fishing line with CDs or something on it, to try and help. However, I think most would agree: if you free-range your birds, there is always a risk that you will lose birds to a predator. It just depends on you and your goals. I am trying to breed purebred chickens, so a loss does not work in my plans. Therefore I do not free-range. I keep my birds in covered runs and they are locked in the coop at night. But, free-ranging might work well for you.

I am thinking of releasing myView attachment 1157670View attachment 1157671 hens we got last week soon but I'm worried about a hawk around our house. We live in a rural area on 5 acres so hawks fly around a lot. We have some hens around a year old I believe and want to know if a swamp harrier hawk would be able to pick up our chickens. We don't have very big hawks in New Zealand and the swamp harrier is the one around our area. We think we have Sussex's and they are decent sized. Please tell me if you think the hawk will threaten our hens!!

BTW IF ANYONE IS FROM NZ AND HAS HENS TELL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH HAWKS!! THANKS
the best way to keep your chickens safe is to let them out an hour before it gets dark and watch them as much as you can. they will almost always go back to the coop when it starts to get dark

I am thinking of releasing myView attachment 1157670View attachment 1157671 hens we got last week soon but I'm worried about a hawk around our house. We live in a rural area on 5 acres so hawks fly around a lot. We have some hens around a year old I believe and want to know if a swamp harrier hawk would be able to pick up our chickens. We don't have very big hawks in New Zealand and the swamp harrier is the one around our area. We think we have Sussex's and they are decent sized. Please tell me if you think the hawk will threaten our hens!!

I live in NZ, and have had a few bad experiences with hawks. Okay, hawks will attack and eat full grown ducks. But wether or not the hawk tries to eat your hens depends a few factors

.if you have a lot of roadkill (i find the hawks in our area prefer to eat dead possums, than bother to kill anything
. Do you have other animals? Hawks prefer to attack a singular animal, or an animal in a small group. If you have cows, pigs, goats, horses, ducks or dogs around hawks will be less likely to attack
. Size is a very low factor to anything. In fact, if a hawk is desperate, it'll kill a hen that is about it's size meters in front of a human
.Do you have some sheltered spaces around? Small bushes, fruit trees, junk, if you have any spaces a hen can hide during an attack, that'll lower her chances of being eaten greatly

I hope this helps
-Feather

Do you have a good rooster? When we had one, I watched as he kept a hawk at bay, while his hens ran for cover. The hawk decided to find easier prey, rather than take on the rooster!

Back
Top Bottom